JAMESTOWN (KFGO-AM) -- Jamestown Police say accidental carbon monoxide poisoning caused the death of Harold Newman of Jamestown.
Investigators found Newman accidentally left his car running in his attached garage before he went to bed February 19. Police responded to a call to check on him after Newman had failed to make a dentist appointment. Carbon monoxide readings were high when police arrived on the scene.
The 80 year old Newman may have been suffering memory lapses.
Final autopsy results are expected to arrive in the next six weeks.
Newman started his highway sign and billboard business in Jamestown in 1956. It later expanded to Fargo and Roswell, N.M. Newman in 1998 gave North Dakota State University $1.5 million to complete a financing package for a baseball stadium that now carries his name.